Diabetes Management,Health,Weight Management
Health Benefits of Curd – Diabetes, Weight Loss, Skin and Hair
Table of Contents
Health Benefits of Curd
Adding curd, or dahi as we call it in many parts of India could be a great way to incorporate various health benefits into your daily eating habits.
Not only is curd great for your overall health, unless your doctor has advised you otherwise, but it also comes to use in various other ways to maintain your overall health and wellness.
Scroll down to find out about curd for diabetes, as well as curd for weight loss, as well as what the benefits you can get when you make curd a regular part of your health routine.
What is Curd (Dahi)?
Curd is the product that you get when boiled milk is fermented with the help of bacteria. The types of bacteria that are used to make curd, or dahi, are called curd (dahi) cultures.
The final quality of the curd that is produced in this manner will depend mainly on the type of curd culture that has been used to make the curd as well as the quality of the milk that has been used before it was fermented by the bacteria.
There are various health benefits of curd for diabetes as well as curd for weight loss.
Is Curd Good for Health?
Curd is very good for your overall health. In fact, you can use try out curd for diabetes as well as try curd for weight loss purposes too.
Nutrition Value of Curd
Take a look at the nutrition in curd.
Nutrition is shown here as per serving basis:
The nutritional value here is per 100 grams of plain curd that is made out of whole milk.
- Calories – 61
- Carbohydrates – 4.7 grams
- Protein – 3.5 grams
- Fat – 3.3 grams
- Fibre – none
Benefits of Curd for Health
Here are some of the benefits of curd that you can get when you start consuming it on a regular basis:
1. Great to boost your overall immunity
- One of the biggest benefits of having curd on a regular basis is that it can strengthen your immunity and give it a boost.
- Curd contains live active cultures that can help to fight off the various germs that could otherwise make you ill.
- Improving your immunity will help fight regular coughs and colds as well as any other health concerns.
2. Improves your digestion
- Curd is a type of probiotic milk product.
- The term probiotic here means that curd contains live microorganisms which, when used in the required amount can help add a lot of health benefits to the host. The host here is the final product, which is curd, which, when consumed, can have a positive impact on your health, especially your digestive health.
- This is one of the reasons why you can have a plate of Dahi rice on days when you feel bloated, have a stomach ache, or have loose motions, and it can help you get better naturally.
3. Helps strengthen bones and teeth
- Curd is naturally a very rich source of calcium.
- Curd also contains a very high amount of phosphorus.
- Both calcium and phosphorus will help to strengthen your teeth as well as bones.
- This is good for the entire family, from young children who are still developing their bones and teeth, as well as adults and seniors who want to keep their teeth and bones healthy and strong.
- Regularly eating curd can prevent the onset of osteoporosis, especially in women and senior members of the family.
4. Can help keep your blood pressure in check
- Curd also contains a high amount of magnesium.
- Magnesium is a key component when it comes to controlling your blood pressure levels and keeping them within a healthy range.
- Magnesium can help the blood vessels to relax, which helps your blood pressure levels too.
5. May prevent vaginal infections
- For those who regularly experience urinary tract infections or other infections in the vaginal area, adding curd to your diet could be a natural way of reducing and preventing the same.
- Including curd in your diet can inhibit the growth of yeast that could otherwise lead to yeast infection.
- Curd contains lactobacillus bacteria.
- This can help to restore the balance of yeast in the vaginal area.
Benefits of curd for skin
There are many benefits of curd that you can use in your regular skincare regime to get more benefits out of your skincare routine.
1. Reduces dark spots
- Curd contains a high amount of calcium.
- This can help to lighten any dark spots that you have on the skin, as well as help to reduce pigmentation.
- Regular application of curd on the face can also help to even out the skin tone and brighten the skin complexion.
- Applying curd on your face can also help to reduce and prevent the appearance of dry or flaky skin.
2. Reduce and prevent wrinkles
- Dry skin or mature skin is more prone to the appearance of wrinkles.
- Curd contains lactic acid that can tighten your skin naturally and help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- The vitamin D that is there in curd is also a great way to reduce or delay the appearance of wrinkles.
- The natural moisturizing properties of curd can help to hydrate your skin naturally and keep it soft and moisturized for a long time after application.
3. Reduce the appearance of large pores
- The lactic acid that is present in curd can also help to reduce the large pores on your skin.
- With regular application, you may see a marked reduction in the appearance of pores on your skin.
- The other nutrients in curd, such as zinc as well as vitamin E will not only help reduce pores but also keep the skin soft and smooth.
4. Reduce the appearance of fine lines
- One of the first signs of aging skin is fine lines, which can then turn into wrinkles.
- Using curd as a natural ingredient in your skincare routine will help to diminish and delay the appearance of fine lines, and as a result, reduce and delay the appearance of wrinkles as well.
- Fine lines and wrinkles develop when your skin loses its natural elasticity.
- The application of curd on your skin on a regular basis can help to restore the natural elasticity of the skin and thereby delay the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
5. Reduce hyperpigmentation
- Hyperpigmentation can interfere with your natural complexion and cause various dark spots on your skin.
- This is because an excess of melanin gets produced in certain areas on the skin, for various results, which in turn lead to dark spots and hyperpigmentation.
- Curd contains lactic acid, which, when applied on a regular basis on the skin can work as a natural bleaching agent.
- This will help to restore the balance of melanin production in the skin and help to reduce hyperpigmentation.
6. Reduce damage from the sun
- Curd is one of the most natural yet effective ingredients that you can add to your skincare routine to reduce the harmful effects of sun damage on your skin.
- Curd is a very good source of zinc which has natural properties to help your skin stay protected as well as naturally help it to heal from sun damage.
- Using curd will also help your skin to feel soft and smooth and prevent any itching or dry sensation you may have as a result of exposure to the sun.
7. Reduce acne scars
- The anti-inflammatory properties present in curd can help to reduce the appearance of acne scars on your skin and may prevent them from being permanent.
- Curd also has a natural bleaching effect on the skin and can also work as a natural cleanser for the face.
- Using curd in your skincare routine on a regular basis can help to reduce the appearance of acne scars as well as prevent them in the future.
- When you apply curd on your face, it forms a kind of protective layer on the skin and prevents it from getting inflamed.
- The application of a layer of curd on the face will also help in fighting the pathogens that could otherwise leave behind scars.
A simple and effective face pack using curd
Curd face pack for oily skin
- In a bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of curd, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 tablespoon of powdered masoor dal, and 2 teaspoons of orange peel powder.
- Stir nicely to make a smooth paste.
- Apply this on your face once a week to see the reduction of oily patches on the skin, as well as a visible reduction in the appearance of acne and acne spots.
Curd face pack for dry skin
- In a bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon of curd, 1 teaspoon of honey, and a few drops of rose powder.
- Apply this all over your face and leave it on for about 15 minutes, or till it starts to dry up.
- Wash your face gently using regular water.
- Apply sunscreen and your regular face moisturizer and feel your skin retain the moisture for longer.
Benefits of Curd for Stomach
There are numerous benefits of curd on the overall health of your stomach.
1. Helps to fight stomach ache
- Sometimes, your stomach may be infected with a type of toxin known as aflatoxin B1 which can lead to uneasiness in the stomach as well as stomach pain and upset.
- This can sometimes happen when you have wheat or certain types of nuts.
- Curd contains a very useful species of bacteria which can help to fight aflatoxin B1.
2. Inhibits growth of bad bacteria in the gut
- The healthy probiotic features that are present in curd can also help to inhibit and prevent the growth of bad bacteria in your stomach.
- The probiotic properties fight bad bacteria and prevent them from growing.
- In addition, they also help to stop the secretion of bacteriocin that helps to kill other bacteria and aids in the proper secretion of bile juice that helps in improving digestion.
3. Fewer chances of allergies
- Curd contains lesser amounts of lactose as well as lesser amounts of galactose as compared to milk.
- As a result, those who are allergic to lactose or galactose can still consume curd safely, without the fear of any allergies, and make the best of all its health properties.
4. May relieve Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Consuming curd on a regular basis can help those who often suffer from irritable bowel syndrome or IBS.
- IBS is a very common stomach ailment that usually affects the stomach as well as the intestines, which are also known as the gastrointestinal tract.
- Constipation, diarrhea, and feeling bloated or gaseous can often be the most common symptoms of IBS.
- Having plain curd or plain curd rice can often help to tone down the symptoms as well as relieve the signs and symptoms associated with IBS.
- The live cultures present in curd can help to remove the bad bacteria from the gut and thus provide relief.
5. Reduces constipation and diarrhea
- Having curd is good for both when you have diarrhea as well as when you have constipation.
- You can prepare some chhaas or buttermilk at home and have it regularly after your meals. This can help in regulating your bowel movements and help to regulate your bowels, thus avoiding constipation.
- Curd can also help to boost our gut strength and keep the overall digestive tract healthy. Consuming it on a regular basis can help fight diarrhea as well as make you feel better and come out of the symptoms faster, when you have diarrhea.
Curd for Weight Loss
If you want to know if is curd good for weight loss, here are some ways in which you can use curd for weight loss.
- Curd is a great way to naturally burn fat.
- It contains a high amount of calcium, which further helps to keep your BMI levels within the recommended healthy range.
- The probiotics that are found in curd helps to regulate your digestive tract and keep it healthy and functioning well.
- As a result, this also helps to improve your overall metabolism which can further boost your weight loss routine.
- The rich amount of protein in curd also boosts weight loss. The protein present in curd also helps to reduce hunger pangs and thus prevents you from binge eating.
- Irregular digestion can often interfere with your weight loss. Having curd on a regular basis can help to ease out your digestion, boost your overall digestion and thus help with weight loss.
India's top Weight Loss nutritionists
are here to help
India's top Weight Loss nutritionists are here to help
Curd for Diabetes
If you are wondering is curd good for diabetes, here is some curd for diabetes benefits that you can avail of when you consume it on a daily basis:
- The low glycaemic index or GI content in curd makes it a great food source for those who have diabetes.
- Curd also contains lower amounts of carbohydrates but is high in protein content, which makes it especially good for those who have diabetes. This means that it will not increase your blood sugar levels.
Indias top Diabetes nutritionists
are here to help
Indias top Diabetes nutritionists are here to help
Benefits of Curd for Hair
If you are wondering is curd good for hair, check out these amazing curd benefits for hair as well as some homemade DIY hair packs that you can use to manage your tresses better.
- Curd can help to reduce and prevent the growth of bacteria on your scalp.
- The lactic acid present in curd will help to naturally clean your scalp as well as remove any dead skin cells.
- This will help to make your scalp and hair roots stronger.
- It will further help to reduce hair fall as well as aid in the growth of new hair.
- Using curd on your hair will also help to lock in your hair’s natural moisture and prevent frizz and dryness of the hair.
Here are a few ways in which you can apply curd to your hair:
For dry hair:
- In a bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil along with 5 tablespoons of curd and 5 tablespoons of besan.
- Stir this to make a smooth paste.
- Apply this evenly on your scalp and on the lengths of your hair.
- Leave on for 15 minutes and then wash off. You can use mild shampoo if you feel the smell of curd is overpowering.
For natural hair shine:
- In a bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of curd, 1 banana, and 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Stir it nicely to make a smooth paste.
- Apply this gently on the scalp as well as on the length and tips of the hair.
- Leave it on for about an hour or till it starts to get dry.
- Wash with regular water and use a mild shampoo.
Curd is Good for the Heart
It is estimated that having curd on a regular basis can help to reduce blood pressure as well as reduce the chances of developing hypertension. This can be good for the overall health of your heart.
As per a study, adults who already have hypertension or are at risk of developing high blood pressure and hypertension can benefit from having at least 2 or more servings of curd per week, and this reduces their chances of developing any cardiovascular diseases.
Curd lowers blood sugar level
- Curd contains a low amount of carbohydrates which will prevent your blood sugar levels from spiking.
- The high amount of protein in curd makes you feel full for longer, as it takes your body longer to digest. This can help to slow down the rise of your blood sugar levels.
Best way to eat curd
Here are some very easy and effective ways in which you can include curd in your everyday diet:
- Make a healthy dip by blending curd, beetroot, pudina, rock salt, black pepper, and a dash of lime juice. You can use this with toast, or even with paranthas. Alternatively, use curd to make a dip of your choice and have it with toast or salads.
- Make raita by mixing chopped vegetables such as carrots, beetroot, cucumber, onion, and tomato along with curd. Add a bit of water, rock salt, pudina, and black pepper, and have it with your meal. You can also add boondi if you want.
- Mix a bit of curd in the atta that you make every day and have it in your rotis and paranthas to make them even softer.
- Make lassi at home by mixing curd and water and make it salty, sweetish, or masaledaar by adding jaljeera, chaat masala, or any other ingredient of your choice.
Do keep in mind that while curd has various health benefits, you should always speak to your doctor first and take their advice when it comes to your diet and health.
If you notice any discomfort after having or using curd, please discontinue the same and speak to your healthcare team first.
At Fitterfly, our expert team of nutritionists, physiotherapists and psychologists are focused on transforming your health through their expertise. This happens through personalized one-on-one sessions, tailor made diet & exercise plans and an in-depth analysis of your overall lifestyle, health and medical history.
Have a look at our Fitterfly’s programs like Fitterfly Weight Loss Program and Fitterfly Diabetes Care Program . They might just be the program you have been looking for!
Speak with us and see how we can make it possible for you.
Don’t struggle alone & get the expert care you deserve