5 Benefits and quick ways to Include the Nutritious Indian Gooseberry - Amla!
Pediatric Nutritionist, BSc, Post Graduate in Nutrition and Dietetics, PhD (Std)
- Posted On October 11, 2017
Amla is known as Indian Gooseberry. Amla is well- known for a number of health benefits because of its highest vitamin C content. It is a fruit with excellent antioxidant properties and immense therapeutic potentials. Most commonly consumed in form of sweet preparations traditionally called as murrabba, it can be eaten along with meals or consumed early morning which is said to enhance its therapeutic benefits. Amla (gooseberry)juice is considered to have 20 times more benefit as compared to orange juice.
Benefits of Amla in children:
- Amla has extentive properties in curing respiratory disorders like cough, bronchitis as well as in treating asthma.
- Amla also nourishes the skin, haemoglobin levels as well as improves eyesight as it is high in Vitamin C and beta carotene.
- Amla , relieves gastric problems, diarrhoea and improve body’s resistance.
- Amla has therapeutic values and boosts immunity which helps to prevent common infections like cold. A perfect treat to your child.
- Amla is also rich source of chromium. Chromium is a trace element which helps in body functions such as food digestion. It also aids in increasing apetite.
Easy ways to include this food into your meals..
- Grate them into salad or raitas (with the skin).
- Deseed amla and finely chop into dals or veggies after it is cooked. Adds a tangy flavour to the dish.
- Blend with bottle gourd and curd to make a refreshing smoothie.
- Amla murabba - Grate and mix with jaggery, a dash teaspoon into chapaties, parathas to roll it up into a quick snack.
- Finely chop and slightly toss with little spices to serve as a tangy healthy pickle.
Did you know -50mg of Amla ( 1 medium size) = contains 300mg of Vitamin C and children require just about 40mg per day! Not so difficult to get your munchkin to eat just half an amla per day, Is it???
Caution - Do not expose to heat as it can destroy the Vitamin C content in this wonder food.
FitterFly is a first of its kind, child centric- fitness and nutrition venture that provides integrated tech enabled personalised services for children and their families across India.
At FitterFly, we make sure that your child remains in the best of his health and spirit. At FitterFly, our team of paediatrics dietitian offer customised nutrition/ diet advice and plans for children.
Fitterfly is a wellness company run by doctors, nutritionists and wellness experts with an aim to empower people with knowledge and tools for good health. We use personalized technology for everyday wellness. Our qualified Coaches at Fitterfly provide detailed customized guidance according to your age, health condition, and personal preferences. To know more, download and use ‘Fitterfly Wellness’ app from play store or app store or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or just call us at +917045065225