Nose bleed in children: causes, prevention and treatment
Fitterfly - Team Nutrition
- Posted On May 16, 2018
Nose bleed or Epistaxis as it is known medically, it is commonly seen in children and adults in summer season. A nose is a fragile and very important organ of the human body. Nose bleeding is majorly caused due to bursting of blood vessel within the nose, it can be spontaneous or due to trauma. When nose becomes dry, small arteries of the nose get exposed to mechanical stress or burst which leads to bleeding. Though by itself, it may not be life threatening, but repeated nose bleeding is harmful and requires immediate medical attention.
In summer season, with the increased temperature and dry weather leads to dehydration and dryness of nose. That’s why; many children face this problem in this holiday period.
The causes of nose bleeding are as follows:
- Nose picking
- Blowing nose too hard
- Increased dryness of nose
- Drastic temperature changes
Other common causes are:
- An injury or broken nose
- High blood pressure
- Medical condition that affects the blood vessel or blood clotting
- On medicines like Warfarin
Children, Elderly people and pregnant women are at higher risk of nose bleeding.
Things to remember when your child is having nose bleed:
- Stay calm and reassure your child
- Make your child sit upright on chair or lap, then tilt head slightly upwards
- Slightly pinch soft part at the front of the nose, then lean forward
- Have your child relax a while after a episode of nose bleed
- Discourage nose blowing, picking or rubbing of nose
Tips for prevention:
- Proper hydration
- Ensure sufficient water and fluid intake: During summers, include soothing and coolant fluids like coconut water, lemon juice, sugarcane juice, buttermilk, smoothies and infused flavoured water along with water.
- As per our Indian traditions, include summer special coolants like Gulkand (rose petal jam), Kairi panha (raw mango drink), sun-dried amla in daily routine.
- Cut child’s nails short to avoid any cut or bruises
- If air is too dry, run a cool mist humidifier or vaporizer in a room
- Avoid forceful blowing of nose
- Use water based nasal gel to prevent dryness
If the nosebleed is frequent and does not respond to these measures, then the child should be checked by a ENT specialist or a pediatrician to seek medical treatment
About Fitterfly: Fitterfly is a child nutrition and fitness company started by renowned doctors, pediatric nutritionists, fitness experts and technologists. Our team of pediatric nutritionist helps all in providing information about causes of nose bleeding and how to deal with it, how diet will help us to prevent the episodes of nose bleeding.
Fitterfly is a Digital Therapeutics company run by doctors, nutritionists and wellness experts to help people prevent, reverse and manage their diseases. Fitterfly digital therapeutics programs provide best in class care and outcomes for Diabetes, PCOS, obesity, pregnancy, gestational diabetes and child health. Our qualified Coaches, award winning Fitterfly Wellness platform and a caring team provide detailed customized guidance according to your age, health condition, and personal preferences. To know more, download and use ‘Fitterfly Wellness’ app from play store or app store or just call our hotline at +912248971077 and choose the right program.