Diabetes Care: Safe Tips To Follow While Travelling
Fitterfly - Team Nutrition
- Posted On November 23, 2019
Whether it is a work-related trip or a family vacation you’ve been planning for months, travelling changes your daily routine inevitably. Changes in diet, sleep pattern, time zones, exercise routine could potentially off-track of your diabetes management plan.
Don't worry - this does not mean that you can’t take a vacation. With a little caution and discipline, the only thing you’ll have to worry about is making new memories!
Today, we’re sharing 10 things for people with diabetes to keep in mind while travelling:
- Make sure you pay a visit to your doctor before you leave. Get a routine check-up done and keep them informed about your travel plans. Getting a note about your health condition and medicine is also a good idea.
- Take enough medicines to last you an extra week - you never know when they will come in handy. Please keep them in different bags with a note of which ones to take at what time.
- Don't be shy to carry snacks with you - hunger pangs may strike any time!
- Try to stay on track with your meal timings (especially if you have to take medicines with them). This tip is useful for people flying long-distance.
- Stay active - walking might be the best way to explore a new place! Walk up and down the aisle while flying every hour or so.
- Take time off to relax and rejuvenate - especially while your body adjusts to the new time zone.
- Inform your travel partners about your medicines, signs of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar episode), and what to do in those situations.
- Carry shoes with excellent support. Avoid walking bare feet and check them for cuts and bruises every day.
- Changing time zones make your day longer or shorter - talk to your doctor about adjusting your medicines on the travel days
- Lastly, if you’re travelling with a CGMS sensor, inform the airport security and ask for a manual check instead of going through the scanner to avoid spoiling the sensor.
And that's it - we hope you find these tips useful and that they help you in planning a relaxing trip!
Fitterfly is a wellness company run by doctors, nutritionists and wellness experts with an aim to empower people with knowledge and tools for good health. We use personalized technology for everyday wellness. Our qualified Coaches at Fitterfly provide detailed customized guidance according to your age, health condition, and personal preferences. To know more, download and use ‘Fitterfly Wellness’ app from play store or app store or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or just call us at +917045065225