World Pi Day- Celebrate with a Healthy Pie
Fitterfly - Team Nutrition
- Posted On March 27, 2018
March 14 is the World Pi Day. Pi is the most recognizable mathematical constant in the world. Its value is equal to 3.1415 approximately. That’s why it’s celebrated on 14th March (3/14).
According to Physicist Larry Shaw, Pi should be remembered by people for years to come, so he thought of celebrating it in unique and cheerful way by eating lots of pies. As “pie” is a homophone of “pi”, it is easy to memorize for people. Now-a-days it is celebrated by pie baking contest, pie shape accessories making, eating foods that start with pi, like pizza, pineapple and winner gets a whole pie as a take away.
Everybody loves the pie. Different varieties can be made with choice of ingredients.
Let’s look at the Apple Pie Recipe:
|Plain flour||2 cup|
|Whole egg||1 number|
|Unsalted butter||¼ cup|
|Lemon juice||2 teaspoon|
|Ground Cinnamon||¼ teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||a pinch|
- To make the crust: In a bowl, mix plain flour, egg and salt. Cut butter into flakes and add it to the flour. Mix it till crumbly texture.
- Add water slowly, 2 tbsp at a time. Mix it with the help of fork or hand to form moist dough.
- Fold the dough over on itself three or four times to ensure proper mixing and smooth texture. Divide it in two parts, one about twice as large as other. The larger piece will be used for bottom crust and smaller piece for the top crust.
- Wrap it with plastic or muslin cloth and refrigerate for half an hour. Then roll out each dough evenly, without any splits or cracks on edges.
- Preheat the oven at 220°c.
- Grease 9” pie pan lightly, pan should be at least 2” deep.
- To make the filling: In a bowl, mix sliced apple and lemon juice.
- In another small bowl, mix other ingredients like sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and unsalted butter. Sprinkle this mixture over the apples and coat them evenly.
- Take a larger piece of dough; roll out in a 13” circle. Place it over the greased pan and trim the edges.
- Add the apple filling into the app.
- Roll out the remaining dough into 11” circle. Place it carefully over the apple filling without applying to much pressure. Bring the edges of bottom crust up and over the top crust, seal it by pinching or decorative crimp. Prick the crust with fork or knife for easy escape of steam.
- For extra crunch, we can brush the top with milk or beaten egg white and sprinkle it with powdered sugar.
- Place the pie in pre-heated oven. Bake it for 20 minutes approximately. Then reduce the temperature to 110°c and bake for more 40 minutes. In between check the pie and cover the edges with foil to avoid browning.
- When filling starts bubbling vigorously, remove pie from oven.
- Cool the pie completely before slicing to avoid messy slicing.
- Serve the pie and celebrate World Pi Day with your close ones.
Nutritive value per serving (100 gms):
“Let’s gather together, celebrate and eat pie...!”
About FitterFly: FitterFly is a first of its kind, child centric- fitness and nutrition venture that provides integrated tech enabled personalised services for children and their families across India. At the heart of our philosophy lies, one simple principle – Every Child should be in the best of its Health and be 360 degrees Fit. FitterFly has been initiated by doctors with more than 40 years of healthcare experience, child nutritionists, child fitness trainers and senior technology people. At FitterFly, we make sure that your child remains in the best of his health and spirit. At FitterFly, we offer customised nutrition/ diet advice and plans for children.
Fitterfly is a wellness company run by doctors, nutritionists and wellness experts with an aim to empower people with knowledge and tools for good health. We use personalized technology for everyday wellness. Our qualified Coaches at Fitterfly provide detailed customized guidance according to your age, health condition, and personal preferences. To know more, download and use ‘Fitterfly Wellness’ app from play store or app store or write to us at email@example.com or just call us at +917045065225