Nuts and Oilseeds - Nutritional gems in diet for children
Fitterfly - Team Nutrition
- Posted On July 17, 2017
Good nutrition is the essential key to healthy growth and development in children. A well balanced diet with all essential nutrients helps build healthy food habits in the early stages of growth. Nuts like almonds, walnuts, peanuts, cashew nuts and pistachio are a host of all important minerals and other nutrients that give variety, energy and color to a child’s plate. Oilseeds like til seeds, garden cress seeds (halim seeds), watermelon seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds and sunflower seeds are equally beneficial in diet.
Get your facts right with these amazing benefits of nuts and oilseeds
- House of all nutrients: Nuts contain rich sources of many bio-active macronutrients like dietary fiber, B-complex vitamins, anti-oxidants, phenolic compounds, Vitamin K (tocopherol) and essential minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc and selenium which are building. Among all oilseeds til seeds and halim seeds are the richest sources of iron in vegetarian diets.
- Go smart with healthy nuts: Walnuts also called as “brain nuts” contain essential fatty acids like omega -3 have a significant role in the neural or brain development of a child at all stages of growth in life. Memory foods like nuts is the key for your child to excel exceptionally well in academics.
- Packed with more energy: Interestingly addition of nuts and oilseeds give a feeling of fullness as they are highly rich in fiber, proteins and other minerals that make snacks caloric dense and highly nutritious.
- Decrease your child’s heavy waistline with healthy nuts: Nuts are popularly blamed as foods that cause weight gain but interestingly they help control weight gain in children. In spite of nuts being the richest plant source of vegetable oils and fats, they are very low in saturated fat thus contributing in weight control in children.
- Keeps you away from diseases: Dietary fiber, an essential component in food required for digestion and nuts and oilseeds are store houses of fiber. A handful of nuts serves as an excellent snack, pre-game munch, mid meals for children can prove beneficial. Also rich in protein, they also have low glycemic index that help maintain blood sugar levels in the body that prevent insulin resistance in children seen in many children who consume junk foods and foods with high sugar daily.
Read out nuts rich recipes shared by our child nutritional experts at FitterFly for a healthier lifestyle.
Some tips you must remember:
- Parents must check for any nut allergy before experimenting with use of nuts in different recipes for their children.
- Use powdered or crushed forms of nuts in meals if your child is anti-nuts. Reinforce health benefits of eating nuts at an early age for your child to develop a conscious habit of eating nuts.
ADD A DASH OF THESE POCKET FOODS AND GET HEALTHY WITH FITTERFLY!!
Fitterfly is a wellness company run by doctors, nutritionists and wellness experts with an aim to empower people with knowledge and tools for good health. We use personalized technology for everyday wellness. Our qualified Coaches at Fitterfly provide detailed customized guidance according to your age, health condition, and personal preferences. To know more, download and use ‘Fitterfly Wellness’ app from play store or app store or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or just call us at +917045065225