Healthy Sprout Modak
Fitterfly - Team Nutrition
- Posted On July 22, 2017
Ganpati Bappa Morya!!!!
With the festive season setting in, children are all geared up to welcome their best friend Lord Ganesha to their homes.
Modaks are indeed Gannu babas favorite food. How about trying some delicious experiments with twists and turns to the authentic modak recipe. Constantly struggling to add protein to your munchkins diet, let's make an extra effort to pack protein into Ganesha's favourite snack.
Rice flour: 100gms(1 cup)
Soaked and boiled Mung Dal: 50gms (1/2 cup)
Coconut - fresh - 4 teaspoon
Ghee - 4 teaspoon
Salt - as required
For the stuffing
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add grated coconut.
- It takes about 10 to 15 minutes for the mixture to dry on low flame.
- Add the cooked dal and mix well. ( Sprouted and boiled whole mung)
- Stir every 2 to 3 minutes.
- You can add more ghee if the stuffing becomes too dry.
For the cover
- Boil water.
- Add a pinch of salt and 1 tsp of ghee to the flour and mix it thoroughly.
- Add 1 tsp of ghee in the boiling water.
- Add the dough to the boiling water. Lower heat. Mix well.
- Cover the vessel keep it for 5 minutes on low flame to let the rice flour cook.
- Knead the dough into a smooth paste without lumps.
- You need to knead it while it is still hot. You may apply some oil or ghee on your palms.
- If you feel the dough looks dry and hard, add some hot water and continue to knead till the dough turns smooth.
Making the Modaks
- Apply pinch of oil/ghee on your palms and make small balls of the dough.
- Flatten it to give it the shape of a katori or cone.
- Press the edges of the katori-shaped dough with slight pressure at every 1 inch distance.
- The edges of the katori will now look like the petals of the flower.
- Put some stuffing in the katori and close the ends to give them a shape like fresh figs or momos.
- Take a leaf of banana or a soft cloth like muslin, and apply bit oil/ghee on it and place it in the steamer pan.
- Place all the modaks on the leaf or cloth and close the lid.
- Steam it for 5 to 6 minutes and turn off the flame.
AND OUR SWEET PROTEIN LOADED MODAKS ARE READY TO BE SERVED!!!!!
Nutritive Value per Modak
Energy = 80 kcal
Protein = 2 gms Carbohydrates = 13.5 Fats = 2 gms
Calcium = 13 mgs Iron = 0.7 mgs
FitterFly is a first of its kind, child centric- fitness and nutrition venture that provides integrated tech enabled personalised services for children and their families across India.
At FitterFly, we make sure that your child remains in the best of his health and spirit. At FitterFly, our team of paediatrics dietitian offer customised nutrition/ diet advice and plans for children.
Fitterfly is a wellness company run by doctors, nutritionists and wellness experts with an aim to empower people with knowledge and tools for good health. We use personalized technology for everyday wellness. Our qualified Coaches at Fitterfly provide detailed customized guidance according to your age, health condition, and personal preferences. To know more, download and use ‘Fitterfly Wellness’ app from play store or app store or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or just call us at +917045065225