Get smart in choosing healthy fats for your child’s diet
Fitterfly - Team Nutrition
- Posted On June 24, 2017
With India ranking as the second largest leading country in the World for childhood obesity, it is time to hit an alarm for all parents to look out for healthy options of foods in their child’s diet. Switching to healthy choices of fats in diet is the right way of keeping your child away from obesity and its associated diseases. FAD diets encouraging fat free meals can be dangerous and cause many nutritional deficiencies in the body.
LEARN TO PICK HEALTHY FATS IN DIET WITH NUTRITIONAL EXPERTS AT FITTERFLY.
- Say no to Saturated Fats: These are fats with only long unbreakable carbon bonds also responsible for causing increase in cholesterol and fat deposition around your child’s waist and stomach. High intake of saturated fat coming from fatty meats, butter, cheese, ice-creams, chocolates, sweets and chips are highly child friendly but are responsible for increase in weight and leading cause of childhood obesity. Certain unhealthy sources of oil like palmolein oil, palm oil, margarine, and coconut oil contain high quantities of saturated fat.
- Stay guilt free with Unsaturated Fats: Unsaturated fats are those sources of fat which contain at least one double bond and intake of unsaturated fats in limited quantities help reduce cholesterol and triglycerides in the body. Monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) and polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) are two types of unsaturated fats that are recommended in limited quantities as they possess essential benefits.
- Keep away Hydrogenated fat and trans fat sources: Hydrogenated vegetable and cooking oils are hardened fat sources in the form of butter and margarine used primarily in baked foods, biscuits, cakes and pastries. Foods rich in hydrogenated fats are also rich in trans fats which cause major heart disease, increase in cholesterol and a decrease in HDL levels (good fats) in the body. Trans fats are seen in baked foods, packaged foods, fried non-veg, fries and chips and all fatty foods.
- Get fit with Healthy fats in diet: Intake of rich sources of MUFA and PUFA fats are the best choices while picking up foods and oils in diet. Oleic acid and erucic acid are forms of MUFA found in olive oil, canola oil, nuts and oilseeds, almond oil and groundnut oil that help in reducing LDL levels without reducing HDL levels in the body. Interestingly PUFA sources are found in many vegetable oils like corn oil, safflower oil, cotton seed oil, soybean oil, sunflower oil, nuts and oilseeds.
- Click on natural sources of fat in diet: Invisible fat sources present in milk and milk products, nuts and oilseeds are healthy sources of fats. Walnuts, almonds, flax seeds, til seeds, mustard seeds, other oilseeds, coconut, milk, curd, paneer, low fat cheese when consumed in limited quantities not only provide healthy fats but also contain other essential vitamins and minerals that help build immunity and prevent diseases.
GO HEALTHY WITH NATURAL FATS AND END YOUR STRUGGLE WITH UNHEALTHY FATS IN DIET!!
Fitterfly is a wellness company run by doctors, nutritionists and wellness experts with an aim to empower people with knowledge and tools for good health. We use personalized technology for everyday wellness. Our qualified Coaches at Fitterfly provide detailed customized guidance according to your age, health condition, and personal preferences. To know more, download and use ‘Fitterfly Wellness’ app from play store or app store or write to us at email@example.com or just call us at +917045065225