Ever Heard of Black Carrots – Know the Health Benefits!
Fitterfly - Team Nutrition
- Posted On March 26, 2018
Everybody loves the vibrant orange coloured Gajar ka halva – a traditional Indian Sweet made on most of the occasions, but ever heard of a black gajar ka halva? Yes, it’s a variant of carrot with a sweet taste but subtle bitter aftertaste.
Carrot or Daucus carota subsp. Sativus is found in many colours like red, purple, orange, white, yellow and black attributed due to the pigments present in it, like carotenoids, anthocyanins etc.
The origin of Carrots lies in the 10th century, the purple variant was found before which underwent mutation with the pigment loss and evolved into orange coloured carrots which are seen locally everywhere now.
Anthocyanin- a flavonoid is a major pigment which contributes to the black colour of the carrot and even to its antioxidant properties. Apart from that they also are a source of calcium, iron and Zinc, which will ensure strong bones, immunity and cognition
A native to Europe it’s grown in Haryana, Andhra Pradesh, Punjab, Karnataka and Uttar Pradesh regions of India amongst which Punjab Black Beauty is the popular variant. It’s grown in temperature between 7-23 degree Celsius, which is the winter season when we need more of antioxidants to fight against infections.
The Punjab Agriculture University has recommended this crop for general cultivation in the state and though it as a boon for the malnourished as it’s packed with Antioxidants, Calcium, Iron and Zinc
4 Health Benefits of Black Carrots:
- In Rheumatoid Arthritis: The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory property of Anthocyanin proves beneficial for reducing the oxidative stress and ease the symptoms of Arthritis.
- Aids in Digestion: The high fibre content of Carrot, helps in relieving the signs of constipation, fibre also acts to bind the cholesterol thus lowering it.
- In Alzheimer’s: Again the antioxidant property helps to combat the oxidative damage and improves cognition in Alzheimer’s.
- Against cancer: As it’s loaded with antioxidants its beneficial for fighting against cancer.
3 Uses of Black carrots from the Kitchen:
- Can be used as a regular carrot in Salads.
- Appetising Juice
- As a dip – Attributed to its sweet flavour.
- As a food colour
In Indian Market, though you cannot find black carrot locally easily you can always order it online.
So get started and try to add some colour to your food...
Read more on our next blog – Recipes with the black carrot.
Fitterfly is a Digital Therapeutics company run by doctors, nutritionists and wellness experts to help people prevent, reverse and manage their diseases. Fitterfly digital therapeutics programs provide best in class care and outcomes for Diabetes, PCOS, obesity, pregnancy, gestational diabetes and child health. Our qualified Coaches, award winning Fitterfly Wellness platform and a caring team provide detailed customized guidance according to your age, health condition, and personal preferences. To know more, download and use ‘Fitterfly Wellness’ app from play store or app store or just call our hotline at +912248971077 and choose the right program.