CHILDHOOD OBESITY - INDIA'S BIGGEST HEALTH CONCERN
Pediatric Nutritionist, BSc, Post Graduate in Nutrition and Dietetics, PhD (Std)
- Posted On October 11, 2017
Childhood obesity is rising at an alarming rate and it can put shackles in the growth of the nation. As responsible citizens, the health of the future generation is in our hands. "Baby fat", "chubby baby" are no more fancy statements
41 million in 2016
41 million infants and young children were overweight or obese.
124 millionchildren and adolescents are obese – a tenfold increase in the last four decades.
Nearly 1 in 5children and adolescents are overweight or OBESE
We parent unknowingly, over feed our children, which in the long run leads to obesity and other complications.
Is my child’s food healthy!! Ever assessed?? Well, now is the time to know
Parents often are searching for tools to assess the health of their child. Tracking a childs food intake is not an easy task, with the wide variety and choice available in the markets today. Options are a plenty but are they Healthy?? It’s time to pull up and choose foods wisely for your munchkin. No food is banned if correct portioning and planning is involved.
- Physical Activity - a lack of physical activity is another big risk factor for childhood obesity. We no more see playtime in children as they grow. Burdened with various classes playtime is often compromised.
- Food of Choice - The problem lies in every kitchen - Poverty in midst of plenty is the perfect description of the scenario today! Poor food choices in midst of plenty of healthy foods.
- Sleep – With the rise in addiction to gadgets, social media, and gaming, children compromise over their sleep cycles. This affects hormones and metabolism leading to childhood obesity.
Preventing Childhood Obesity – Take immediate Steps.
Acceptance by parents that their child is heading towards obesity is the biggest challenge faced by health professionals. Parents assume that the body fat will automatically disappear with age and this is indeed a misconception. The body fat percentage largely depends on body metabolism which is controlled by the food intake and physical activity involved. Social images, crash diets, intense sudden physical activities are all temporary solutions to manage an overweight or obese child.
Gradual modification into healthy foods and increase in physical activity is the only way to get the child into normal weight status .
FitterFly Pediatric Nutrition Team shoots out essential steps to a healthy Childhood
- Maintaining a daily food diary – Conscious efforts towards daily consumption of food.
- Choosing the right foods in right portion size.
- Maintaining a balance in the daily intake.
- Meeting the recommended dietary allowances with micro and macro nutrients.
- Striking a balance between food intake and physical activity.
What are the risks of ChildhoodObesity
- Insulin resistance leading to more weight gain
- Type 2 Diabetes mellitus in children
- High Blood pressure
- Obstructive sleep apnea- difficulty breathing at night
- Poor self-esteem
- Adult Obesity in later years with early onset diseases
It’s a wish of every parent to see his or her child grow into a healthy individual. Good balanced nutritional support is essential for the same.
Start today be the driving force for every child and create a healthier India!
Fitterfly is a wellness company run by doctors, nutritionists and wellness experts with an aim to empower people with knowledge and tools for good health. We use personalized technology for everyday wellness. Our qualified Coaches at Fitterfly provide detailed customized guidance according to your age, health condition, and personal preferences. To know more, download and use ‘Fitterfly Wellness’ app from play store or app store or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or just call us at +917045065225